Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Plan - Days 4 through 7

Well, I made it through the toughest part - the 3 day cleanse. And then the next four days as well.

I've not had any reactions so far to any of the "test" foods - almonds, goat cheese, dark chocolate or steak. Tomorrow I get to try bread - white bread. I'm so excited!

The ounce of chocolate at the end of the day is really worth waiting for. I'm still taking the L-Glutamine and have had zero sugar cravings. I'm going to take it for another few days, maybe this whole week coming up because it's National Nursing Home week at work, and there will be food everyday. And I'll be the one serving it everyday.

Day 4 - tested goat cheese, and I passed. I was also able to add dark chocolate in after dinner. And I could have added red wine, if I had any, but I haven't been drinking lately, so will save the wine for later.

Day 5 - tested Rye flour, and I passed. Now, I can have a rye cracker or two w/ almond butter as a snack.

Day 6 - tested steak. I was worried about this one because I love it so much. And I didn't drink enough water, so at 7:30pm I chugged about a quart and was still behind. But, lo and behold, lost 1.6 pounds, so I passed Steak! The book says that beef is tough on the digestion system and most people do well to have it only once every 7 days. So chicken is my friend, for now, until I test another protein.

Day 7 - Rest day - no testing, just all non-reactive foods.

Total weight loss so far - 4.4 pounds (in 6 days).

On the Lyn-Genet Plan facebook page she posted this wonderful looking almond cookie recipe, so I made a batch of those today. I can have them as a snack or as a dessert.

Here is the recipe:


Almond butter balls

1/3 cup almond butter
3 tbsp chia seeds
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup almond flour
1 tbsp confectioners sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350
Combine almond butter, chia seeds, coconut and almond flour in a mixing bowl.
The almond butter mix should make 9 small balls

Combine sugar and cinnamon- roll balls in sugar/cinnamon mix
bake at 350 for 10 min

Portion is 3 balls they taste like sugar cookies  and they are chock full of protein!!



The little black things are the chia seeds - they kind of look like something else, but I'm not saying...

I wouldn't go so far to say they taste like sugar cookies, like they said in the recipe, but very good. I will definitely eat the whole batch (over the week - not all at once).


This next week will be a combo of test/rest days.

Tomorrow I will test bread. And, get this, it's white bread (well I can choose wheat if I want to) but no multigrain, no flax, no oatmeal - no fancy, healthy bread. I've got gluten issues, so this will be interesting to see what happens.

After bread comes a new protein - maybe eggs or bacon? I haven't decided yet. Also this week I start to wean off the Flax granola and add in different breakfast offerings. Blueberry/Pear compote is up for Tuesday. I've already made it and it looks kind of gross, so I'm hoping it will taste completely different that what it looks like.

Thoughts so far:


  • The biggest difference I can tell, so far, is that when I wake up in the morning I am awake. I'm not groggy or sluggish. I don't have to have caffeine to "wake up." I get out of bed, and I am awake. I don't know if I have ever felt this before.

  • I am sleeping really hard at night. I used to be an incredibly hard sleeper, in the last few years have had increasing trouble with sleeping. So it's wonderful to be able to go to sleep and stay asleep all night.

  • I'm actually not dreading weighing everyday. I'm still not crazy about it, but it's not messing with me as it has in the past.

  • I think I function better with vegetable protein at lunch and animal protein at dinner. I'm not getting tired after lunch. At some point I think I actually test having 2 animal proteins in one day. For now, I think I'm doing very well with vegetable protein at lunch.


Incidentally, I've pretty much stopped all caffeine. Maybe a cup of green tea once in a while (not every day), but I've switched from my beloved black tea to rooibos and herbal teas w/ either a spot of honey or nothing at all. And I don't miss the black tea. I really thought I would. I will still drink it occasionally, but may not go back to an everyday habit.

What are you thinking about this plan? Sound interesting to you?

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! How did the white bread go?? I am so interested to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This diet sounds so interesting because you actually learn so many things about how your body works with the different foods. I think I may give it a go after my friend's wedding next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few days are tough, but now I really feel the best I have in a long time. The book is really interesting. And I am much more aware of my body's reactions to different foods.

      Delete

I do love comments - thanks for leaving me one!